Reflective Log: Monday 17th June 2013

Another week spent measuring journals on shelves. I finally finished them all, huzzah.

^ I would love to leave this post just as that, but I suppose I should elaborate a bit more on the week! So I finished measuring (this took up the bulk of my week again), and also did some more measurements of the space itself, and put some more figures on some shiny floor plans I’d made so that Sarah could do some number crunching. We’re hoping (Dear God I hope my measurements are correct!!) that we should actually be able to fiddle with the shelving and actually make the floor fully accessible to wheelchair users and the lot – that is, if we really have got 3km of journals down to 1.5km. It’s gonna be close.

Other things I did last week… on Monday afternoon I started my new career as a model. Some of the librarians are making a couple of new tutorials for the website, on finding a book and using the photocopiers, and they needed someone student-looking, so naturally I was first port of call. I felt a bit stupid, but at least now I’ll live on once I’ve left the library!

On Tuesday and Friday I spent more time planning the questionnaires for my project on library accessibility. I had meetings with two other members of staff to discuss what to include and how to include it, and I’ll be meeting with another librarian tomorrow to work on how best to word the questions to get the best possible responses. I have one questionnaire for disabled students and one for library staff members, and I think they’re looking quite good so far.

On Thursday morning I did a task that I’d forgotten to do whilst measuring – labelling some boxes of journals as not to be discarded without first consulting Special Collections – when, an hour into the morning, I realised I was supposed to be with acquisitions. Oops! All was good though, and I spent the morning with them spine labelling – at the moment they’re reclassifying all of the 306s, so there’s shelves and shelves and shelves to be done.

Friday was spent finding some resources that might be useful for my project, but most of the day was spent working on a spreadsheet I’ve been given to complete – it is a list of all of the journals held at our management library, and I am looking each one up on the catalogue and noting down ISSN, classmark, and if we have online access. I have so far got through 100 titles out of over 300, so I’ll be doing this for a while longer yet!

Advertisements
Categories: Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Post navigation

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

If This is a Librarian

Skilled tea-maker, Elvis fan, and Graduate Trainee

Growing a library

Is everything about bums on seats?

Laura's Dark Archive

A record of a librarian's reflections

NLPN

A network for new and aspiring library professionals

Marie Grace Cannon's Blog

A personal blog by a new professional in the legal library and information world

date stamps and papercuts

The ongoing saga of a would-be librarian

Oxford Libraries Graduate Trainee Programme

Follow the learning journey of the graduate trainees at Oxford Libraries

tattle tape and tea

musings of a trainee librarian

But I do like cardigans

The ramblings of a wannabe librarian

EmKay: So it goes.

abstraction in text

home design and lifestyle

Lost amongst the books and 'puters

E.B.L.G.T.

The work blog of the Edward Boyle Library Graduate Trainee at the University of Leeds.

Letters from the Library

Dispatches from a newly-qualified librarian

%d bloggers like this: